Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The checklist

It pays to do a checklist. When going on the road, particularly by bus make sure you have the following:
- wellies (wear when going if in the rainy season)

- poncho (a fluorescent or bright colour will lift the mood in times of stress)

- ipod and/or book

- hand sanitizer

- tissues/toilet paper

- cashew nuts to munch on (or any other nuts)

- water (but never drink till you get to your destination in case you don’t get a loo break on the bus. It is known to happen. I prep by over drinking the previous day)

- camera

- phone credit, and phone

- patience

NEVER leave home without patience or a sense of humour for that matter. Otherwise you’re doomed.

I had everything today. Pity the bus got stuck. I decided to turn back instead of waiting in the pouring rain for the ‘boys’ to sort it out. Sorting anything out in Africa is usually a drama so I figured that instead of putting my life in danger and arriving at 10pm tonight in Arusha that I would go home again and start all over again tomorrow.  Lucky for those that decided to wait it out there has been an upgrade to the road system (which is why we got stuck in the first place, mud everywhere) and two very fine JCB diggers were in the area to tow the bus out. Hours later I’m sure though……and so here’s to getting to my destination tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment